Fifth Grade Language Arts
Castle Hills Elementary
School Hours 7:40-2:50
Telephone (469) 713-5952 x 5341
Hotline Number 972.350.5390"Invite Someone On Your Bus"**Parents "Thank You" for the gift and treats during Teacher Appreciation week.
May 15th - Last day to check-out books
May 18-22nd - Camp Wanna Read
May 22nd- All library books due
May 25th - NO SCHOOL
May 28th -Fifth Grade Pool Party
May 29th - Field Day
- Drops in Bucket - Students have completed all activities.
- Writers' Workshop
- Writing Composition
- Idioms (on-going)
- Analogies (on-going)
- noredink.com - capitalization
- Usages of Commas - (on-going)
- divide words in syllables
- construction a Tree Thinking Map sorting their spelling words
- write sentences. . . students may use more than one word in a sentence
- find one synonym and one antonym (if applicable)
- Word Hunt . . .students can elect to find words as they read books, novel, magazines, etc.
- Students are allowed to work in small groups and/or partners.
- Students are given a hard copy of their spelling words in addition to going to www.spellingcity.com where they can find their words and participate in any of the instructional activities.
- Time for Kids Magazine - "A Healthier World."
- Poetry Unit - Students have submitted and I am in the process of grading.
- Research Unit - TBAnnounced if time allows
- Scope Magazine - "Up From Slavery," and many other articles.
- **4th nine week requirements- Students worked really hard to get Reading Count points (50 pts) to receive a Reading Counts pin
- incorporating Wordle, Powtoon, iMovie, E-portfolio, Google.docs, Glogster
- responding through the use of Edmodo, Socrative, Todaysmeet.com, etc.
- constructing/creating their own products/creations
- take pre-test
- create a Tree Thinking Map
- write sentences for spelling words using more than one spelling word in sentences.
- divide words in syllable
- find a synonym or antonym
- write root and/or base work (if applicable)
- define spelling words (if applicable)
- www.spellingcity.com (To cut down on paper, all spelling words are in spellingcity.com. . . premium activities are available)
- Teacher will check Spelling spirals at the end of each spelling sort. . . will try very hard.
**There are links listed below that your child will view at home and take notes. When your child comes to class he/she will complete activities on that topic. Your child has a Spelling, Reading, and Grammar spiral. All of the information and notes that they will need for test will be in the spirals. Your child should be bringing home their spirals everyday.
**Students will be notified of an assessment 4 to 5 days before the assessment is given. There will be pop quizzes throughout the school year.
In Grammar/Writing students will be studying the following:
Spelling - Last spelling assessment will be on Tuesday, 5/12/15.
Each week students will complete the following in their Spelling spiral:
Assessment: Students are notified of an assessment 3 to 5 days before administered. Assessments are given throughout the week and not always on Friday
Reading - Students will:
Reading Buddies - We will meet with our Reading Buddies two more times in May. We have thoroughly enjoyed our buddies this school year.
Canida's HR will be buddies with Mrs. Gullett's class.
Mrs. Pierce HR will be buddies with Mrs. Norris class.
Mrs. DePaul HR will be buddies with Mrs. Madera class.
*Our buddies are loving each other!!
Free Rice- is a free online game and learning tool, that allows players to raise rice to fight world hunger while learning through educational, multiple-choice games. For every question the user answers correctly, 10 grains of rice are donated to the World Food Program. Students will have Free Rice for homework and in class. Your child should be able to tell you how we will be implementing this activity into the curriculum. This activity is on-going throughout the school year.
Free Rice is available all year long. Enrich your vocabulary!!!
Reader's Theatre/Drama - The students will be acting out skits and plays. Great Expectations Life Principles in Action Readers' Theatre Scripts for Elementary Students (Vol.1) by Jane Ostrander will be used in addition to other plays and scripts.
GE Quotes of the Week
Assessment: Students are notified of a test 3 to 5 days before administered. All study materials are to be kept in the students binder until after the test has been administered.
Assessments will be given every 7 days after the new spelling words have been given.
Students have Spelling spirals to complete weekly assignments. Any work not completed in class can be completed at home. Your child will receive a Spelling spiral grade at the end of each nine wk period.
Spelling City - Last spelling test will be on Wednesday, 5/13/15.
Students will: **These are some of the activities that students can do within the nine days that they have to work in spelling groups before their assessmemt.
Test: Students are notified of a test 3 to 5 days before administered. Papers, study papers, that you see in your child's homework folders are to be kept and studied until the day of the test. After the test is administered, the students can get rid of the study materials and get ready for the next chapter. I am following the math textbook. Due to concern regarding homework, Daily TAKS/TEKS will no longer come home. The students will complete the packets in class. The packets are due on the day of the test.
IMPORTANT NEWS: We have a new intervention program. The students have been working on the program for about 2 weeks now. They will be graded on effort. This means have they been going on the website working. The program has a educational pathway for each student. If you would like to know more about the program please contact me, or take a minute to sit with your child when he/she is working on the program at home.
www.thinkthroughmath.com is a new math intervention program provided by LISD. We've been working on this program for several weeks. It has been assigned for homework each night for the past three weeks.
Pearsonsuccessnet is available!! All students have been added. This means that the textbook is online. YEAH!!!